Friday, May 24, 2013

The New Me: From #ThugLife to #RugLife



As I sit down to put my pen to paper (or more appropriately my fingers to the keyboard) a number of thoughts cross my mind. I don't know where to start from or what to write about. I'm pretty awful at writing and I never submitted my creative writing homeworks ( I was quite smart at dodging my teachers), neither have I been gifted with an eloquent tongue.

My life has been unique in its very own away. Despite being born a Muslim, to parents who practiced, and still practice, Islam ma shaa Allah, I never prayed salah. Regardless of the constant efforts my mom made, yes she tried everything,  I was wayyy too stubborn. To me, praying, more specifically offering the five daily prayers was everything a person needed to be a classified as a 'good' Muslim. I knew what I did was wrong, yet I did it, and thought I was living the perfect life. Friends and looks were the only things that mattered. This continued until the age of 14 or maybe 15. So what exactly happened and made me who I am today? Well, if I answer this question in one word it would be: Quran.

Yes the Quran happened to me or maybe Ramadan happened to me. We simply joined Quran classes in our locality. Our teacher was amazing, and Allah made her the waseela (means) of guiding me alhamdulIllah. The effect that the Quran had on me cannot be put into words. It left me mesmerized, I used to cry and the more I cried the better I felt. The feeling was irreplaceable. I started praying the very first day of Ramadan and I didn't miss a single prayer. Something huge about me had changed and it felt good.

This specific Ramadan came during summer vacations and I was changing schools which assisted the change and helped me start hijab. We all know how peer pressure slows down our progress towards changing for the better. This time, there was no peer pressure. I was moving to a new school. I was going to meet new people. So starting hijab wasn't a problem, alhamdulIllah.

I gave up listening to music, cheating, lying and started working on giving up backbiting too. Other changes followed. I loved the new me. :)

Now, almost 2 years have passed by, alhamdulIllah. Sometimes though, I feel like my imaan deteriorates when I don't keep connected to the Quran. A
day passes by without me spending time with the Quran and its hard for me to stay positive in life. I wait desperately for Ramadan every year because it brings back so many memories. It is the perfect time for me to renew my connection with Allah and for recharging my imaan!

Know that the Quran has the power to transform. It changed the world 1400 years ago. Hearts are easier to change than the world, no? If you want to change for good, I suggest you read and reflect upon the beautiful words of Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala! The change won't be a bowl of icecream though. The graph of life is never a straight line, it has ups and downs especially when you're trying to walk the right path.


"AND HE FOUND YOU LOST AND GUIDED YOU." (ad-Duha)


Now sisters, all of us should utilise this Ramadan to its fullest in shaa Allah. Its that time of the year when the devils are chained, its easier to give up evil and adopt good habits, habits that would last until the next Ramadan and the rest of our lives in shaa Allah. Don't forget to enroll in Quran classes and don't miss taraweeh. Fee aman Allah.

Let me know if you like my first post, also if you want me to write about my niqab story or anything else. I'm open to suggestions in shaa Allah. Love to all the sisters out there.

Keep dropping by!

Visit my:
Facebook
Instagram
Brand page:
Pins & Pearls Abayas
NINJABI.CO

18 comments:

  1. Aww it was beautiful Masha Allah :) xx
    Okay i knew parts of it but hearing the complete story makes me want to cry. Just so amazing :)

    P.s Don't you dare stop writing now. K!

    ReplyDelete
  2. JazakIllahu Khayr :*
    K.I wont stop in shaa Allah :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really nice effort Sarah! I like it how you lack writing skills, yet you write! Keep it up! (Y)

      Yes, i'd like to read everything about how a typical Muslim to be precise typical Pakistani modern girl went all the way to wearing niqab!

      P.S: Stop using 'K' at least here! :p

      Amtul.

      Delete
    2. Haha jazakIllahu khayr amtul. I will definitely write about my niqab story in shaa Allah :D

      Delete
  4. This is simply amazing Sarah! Keep it up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sara I just can't wait for ramdhan I love being with u in the masjid ....... may Allah make this ramdhan filled with heaps of hadaya and love and peace.Ameen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love being with you too :* ameen in shaa Allah!

      Delete
  6. OMG sarah its amazing....
    i love it <3 <3
    and obviously we want you to write more

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Sarah, I am not a muslim but I have many Muslim friends and I would love ot hear mroe about your story and your life, it is very interesting to me :))

    ReplyDelete
  8. MASHALLAH this really bought tears sarah..I would love to read more!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aww jazakIllahu khayr :) I will write more in shaa Allah!

      Delete
  9. Mashallah Sarah I'm really happy for you <3 May Allah continue to guide you Inshallah ;) I was seriously waiting for you and farwa's blogs', Inshallah keep writing!!!! Check out mine inshallah :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Assalam o alaykum! Thats so sweet of you :D
      May Allah guide us all (ameen)

      I cant find your blog can you link it?

      Delete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry here it is habibti! http://thesercretlifeofaniqabidoctor.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete